Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Trying to get back in the groove


I think I've told you about my friend Taylor. She's pretty cool and I love her blog because it reminds me of how much we have in common, and that makes me happy.

I think I've also told you about my desire to write more about me. This isn't an ego trip, but a desire for some accountability in areas that I don't usually share with people.

I don't know that this is the time to focus on me, but it does seem to be the time to start writing again. Taylor found a 10 Day Challenge that will hopefully spur me on.

Day 1: Ten Secrets

1. I miss working in a public library. I miss having a job that's more about books and less about research. I would miss Harding students dreadfully, though, so I'll most likely stay where I am for a long time.

2. In my heart of hearts, I'm still a stay-at-home mom. I play the part of well-adjusted working mom pretty well, but give me a few days at home and I don't want to go back.

3. I've learned a lot about controlling my temper through writings that draw from Buddhism. The eastern focus on calming your spirit and staying in the moment has helped me control both my tongue and my soul.

4. In recent years, I've become a worrier. I think it's because my children are getting older and I realize that even when you do your absolute best as a parent, your children will still make their own choices and they may not be the same ones that you would make for them.

5. More days than not, I feel very unequal to my task.

6. SAHM desires aside, I really wish I could get my PhD. Since I work in higher ed and I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, I just feel like I should. And I do love school. I would be a student forever if someone would pay me to go to school.

7. There's still a part of me that not only wishes I didn't have to work, but honestly resents the fact that I do have to. I don't like being/feeling resentful, so I try not to to allow this part of me to surface.

8. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar make me angry. So does Kate Gosselin. In fact, people who put their families on tv and don't expect it to have a negative effect make me angry. (Billy Ray and Miley Cyrus, are you listening?)

9. I am not a Republican. Neither am I a Democrat and I don't plan to ever be either one.

10. Since I do have to work (can you tell there's a lot of conflict about this?), I really, really, really, really, REALLY wish I could be a fulltime minister. For a church. With Bible degrees and everything.

So, maybe all of that was surprising to you and maybe none of it was. Since I'm a pretty up front person, I had a hard time thinking of 10 things I thought most people wouldn't already know.

Next time? Nine loves. That one should be easy.

1 comment:

Daysha said...

I love #9 it made me smile :) And I believe you are already a minister! You ministered to me and many other girls SO much during my time at Harding! Sometimes the love of God is shown better when it is walking right beside you than when it is being talked about from a pulpit. Thanks for being honest and awesome Lisa!