Wednesday, November 12, 2014

2. If you had to eat the same meal over and over again for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

Oh, this is rich.

If you know me, you know food is a big part of my life.  It's been both a blessing and a curse.  Although I haven't spent my adult life yo-yo dieting, food and my body size has been a constant theme of my life.

So about that food . . .

I miss my grandmother's cooking.  I have a lot of her recipes, but somehow they genuinely tasted somewhat different -- better -- when she prepared them.  My grandmother's generation was probably the last one who ate more real food over their lifetime than prepared foods.  Oven fried chicken, sliced tomatoes, cornbread, butter beans . . . and all of it so, so good.  I don't remember a lot of potatoes or rice being served at her house.  Her Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners were amazing.  She was no short order cook whose major function was to keep everyone happy.  She fixed meals -- wonderful meals full of real food -- and we sat as a family and ate.

I miss that.  I would eat one of her meals every day for the rest of my life if I could.

In the real world, I would have to say Mexican food.  Or what we think of as Mexican food.  It seems like no matter combination of those ingredients you have, it tastes good.  Really good.  It's satisfying too.  The salsa, the crunch of the chips, the warmth of the beans and rice.  It's just good.

In fact, yesterday, I had Mexican food with a friend for lunch and then went home and fixed Mexican chicken and Spanish rice for supper.  I mean what's not to love about this?

No comments: