Thursday, April 24, 2014

Day 1: My favorite song

For a music lover, it's impossible to pick one song that you love.  It has to be narrowed down from the beginning  Genre?  Era?  Specific performer?  You have to start from a smaller pool than just "a song you love."

Daniel burned a CD with some of his favorites and this is one it, meshed between themes from the Legend of Zelda soundtrack and grunge rock from Pearl Jam and Nirvana.



I'll confess:  I listened to it three times in a row this morning.  It makes me want to sing and get up and dance.  The human voice is amazing and the members of Pentatonix use their voices beautifully.  It may not be deep or contemplative, but sometimes life calls for a bit of fun.

In an entirely different vein, I love Eddie Vedder's Guaranteed.  I cried the first time I heard it.  The words, the voice, the stripped-down acoustic guitar, the cry to be free and longing to be loved.  It's beautiful.



"I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me."

Another heartbreaking and beautiful song is Johnny Cash's take on Nine Inch Nails' song Hurt.  Hearing his aged voice sing words of remorse and apology is unforgettable.  This is a stand-in-the-dark-and-let-it-wash-over-you song.



"You can have it all -- my empire of dirt -- I will let you down -- I will make you hurt.  If I could start again -- a million miles away -- I would keep myself -- I would find a way."  The subtle yet persistent piano rhythm toward the end is instrumental genius.

 So . . . three different songs, all songs I love.  There are hundreds more.  I hope you find some joy or release in these.

No comments: