Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 04 - A picture of your favorite night.


I don't know if this would be my favorite night of all time, but it definitely ranks high on the list. Jerry Mitchell is one of my heroes. He attended Harding in the early to mid 80's and wrote for the university's paper, The Bison while he was here. Since then, he has gone on to do investigative reporting in Mississippi and has uncovered information and evidence that solved several previously unsolved civil rights cases.

This picture was taken the night that he came and spoke about his work at Harding. The next night, he was given one of our alumni of the year awards -- WAY past due -- but this night, it was just a small group and we were able to meet him and talk to him.

I wish you could've seen how kind and attentive he was when Caleb and Daniel were talking with him. He really listened, took their questions seriously, and encouraged them to continue thinking and learning about the civil rights era.

You all know of my lifelong love of To Kill a Mockingbird and Atticus Finch. That night, I felt like I was listening to and talking with Atticus.

This is another recent favorite. As part of the club process, Chi Sigs and Regina hosted a paint war mixer. I mostly watched and kept people's valuables from being assaulted with paint, but it was still SO MUCH FUN!! Look at all those pretty colors! The next day, my Facebook feed was FILLED with beautiful pictures of color and happy smiling faces.

Good times. I love my job. I love my people.

No comments: