Friday, August 20, 2010

While you're waiting

This is a busy week so I don't want to jump into writing about Eat, Pray, Love but neither do I want to lose you in the mean time.

So . . . go check out what Christianity Today's Her.meneutics blog has to say about it. I haven't read all of these, but it will give you something to think about for the next few days.

This is a five-part discussion, written by a variety of people.

Part 1 sets the stage.

Part 2 discusses the beauty and tragedy of India.

Part 3 looks at Gilbert's spiritual journey.

Part 4 examines why so many women envy Gilbert's experience.

Part 5 focuses on the movie.

It's been a couple of years since I read the book but even I noticed differences between the book and the movie. I'm rereading it now with plans to discuss it with a friend as we reread together.

How will I respond this time? What will speak to me? What will bother me. I confess that there were times with my first read through that I though, "Really? That's the best you can do?" But it didn't stop me from seeing the elements of truth that were there.

So ... read the book or go see the movie or just read about at the Her.meneutics blog, but come back here next week to start thinking about it together.

1 comment:

Carisse said...

I read Eat, Pray, Love and was thoroughly repulsed. Such a selfish, selfish person. I liked some of the people she met, but I did not like her.