Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love



Have you read this book?

Or maybe you want to see this movie.


Well, I've done both. I read the book a year or so ago and on Saturday, Emily and I went to see the movie together. She and I are trying to take care of each other this year. We'll be the only girls in the house once Noelle goes to college and Becca moves back out. So yeah -- me and my baby girl are going to be the estrogen representatives in our world for a while and we're going to take care of each other.


I know there are people in my faith tradition who have problems with Eat, Pray, Love because it has a lot of Buddhist leanings and because they feel that it glamorizes divorce.

I understand those concerns.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to write about my response to Eat, Pray, Love and why it spoke so clearly to me. Why I took my daughter to see the movie. Why I'm encouraging friends to go see it.

Do I approve of all of Gilbert's decisions? No. Do I hope that no one I love will make the same ones? Yes.

But I also believe that we can all learn a lot from Gilbert's willingness to be honest about her shortcomings and investigate her own life patterns.

So stay tuned.

No comments: