Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I have high standards

Well -- in at least some areas of life.

I was beginning to wonder if my standards were too high for the song O Holy Night, because I looked and looked and couldn't find a version that I wanted to share with you. It's a song that can either be beautiful or a disaster, depending on the skills of the singer. Good singers sometimes take advantage of it and turn it into a showcase for themselves and reach HIGH into the heavens and add notes that aren't even in the song. A few people have had the audacity to change rhythms to suit their own fancy.

That's just wrong. It's a beautiful song in its own. Just sing it and let the beauty speak for itself.

I narrowed down the options and the top three were Luciano Pavarotti, Il Divo, and (of course) Josh Groban.

I really, really wanted to like the Pavarotti version, but his very accented enunciation just didn't work with this song. Il Divo? Well . . . I got tired of their deep, meaningful looks out into space.

So Josh it is. Sweet Josh who brought my plants back to life. What a thoughtful young man!

No comments: