Saturday, October 11, 2008

I have daughters

In case you didn't know or have forgotten, I have daughters. Living in a house full of women means that we have very interesting conversations at times. Last year I found this post from of all people, the renowned Bible teacher Beth Moore. She has daughters too. I'm reposting it here so it will either encourage those of you with daughters or just provide a well-needed laugh.

Please More Spirit!

Since some of you Sistas brought up the subject of PMS (after all, we are sistas and if sistas have anything at all, it's hormones), I feel compelled to tell you what I told a group recently. If you want to live those fretful days of evil principalities with any measure of victory, if, when the day of evil comes, you indeed want to stand, you have to get in your head that PMS means Please More Spirit! Need a reference? OK, how about John 3:34 - "for God gives the Spirit without limit"? (It's a good thing.) Need another? Luke 11:13 - "how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?" You know how furious we get when one of our loved ones makes the merest suggestion that maybe we're a little hormonal? Like those times when waking up to an open bag of Fritos on the coffee table and a water ring left from a sweating glass of soda seem perfectly legitimate grounds for divorce? If, while we're denying the remotest chance we could have PMS, we start looking for the nearest thing we could throw at them, we might want to see these words flashing in red florescent lights across the marque of our minds: Please More Spirit! Please More Spirit! This morning Keith drew my attention to a darling 12 year old girl at church with that look on her face and said, "I hope her parents are really keeping an eye on her. She really seems sullen." "Honey," I said, "All 12 year old girls are sullen. They are a hormone waiting to wreak havoc." How could he have forgotten? Between his three women - Amanda, Melissa, and me - his skin was in jeopardy the greater part of any given month. But don't think he wasn't the kind to invite trouble. He'd say stuff like, "I'm so sorry, Baby. That zit really looks like it hurts." Where's me a lamp?? Good thing we have God. That's all I'm saying. And good thing for THEM we have God. Next time around, remember two very important things:

1. Pray "Please More Spirit!"

2. Take Your Midol.

No comments: