Sunday, March 23, 2008

He is Risen

Easter comes annually and I struggle to find time to focus on resurrection. Spring Sing dominated Easters as a child and it still overshadows it. Lads to Leaders convention in Nashville is also Easter weekend so the last three Easters have been spent in a church bus returning home from the Opryland hotel. I love both of these activities, and both serve a wonderful purpose.

But focusing on the resurrection is hard to do in the midst of the such time-intense activities. What does it really mean that Jesus defeated death? Do we begin to understand that? I don't think so. At least I know that I don't.

Many people are familiar with the Hallelujah chorus. It's commonly performed around Christmas, though in Handel's Messiah it is used to celebrate the resurrection. You may want to stand. As the reverend in To Kill a Mockingbird said, "Jean Louise, stand up, your father's passing."



Hallelujah Chorus is beautiful, but not my favorite part Messiah. I cannot hear the next part without crying, so somebody bring me some kleenex. Worthy is the Lamb and Amen Chorus are the final part of Messiah. The end of the story, when we all reach our eternal home with the Lord.

I cannot wait. Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

I love to stand in the middle of the room with this on, eyes closed, letting the music wash over me. If music can provide a glimpse into heaven, this music does.

Worthy is the Lamb that was slain, and hath redeemed us to God by his blood, to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. Blessing and honour, glory and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, for ever and ever. (Revelation 5:12-14)

Amen.

No comments: