Sunday, June 03, 2007

Has it really been this long?

It's June 3 and my last post here was May 18th. Oh my. Where has the time gone? I'm not all together sure. Neither am I sure of what I want to say tonight.

I've had some wonderful experiences lately. I took a trip to Abilene, TX for a conference and visited Abilene Christian University for the first time. I was struck by the obvious spiritual focus of their conference and the very down-to-earth nature of all of the faculty and staff members I met -- even the university president Dr. Royce Money.

Other than the people, the best experience of the campus was our visit to Jacob's Dream, a sculpture that was constructed in honor of ACU's 100th anniversary. We were able to meet with the artist and hear his experience before visiting the location. I don't believe there are words to capture the awareness of God's presence that accompanies a visit to the site. If you ever have the opportunity to visit Abilene, go the ACU campus and spend time at Jacob's Dream.



The road trip "there and back again" was an adventure all unto itself. I traveled with two of my co-workers, Henry and Jean, and experienced the joy of Christian fellowship all along the way. No, that does *not* mean we sang Stamps/Baxter hymns while driving. Perish the thought! Ugh, shudder, and shake! Fears were shared, tears were shed, and hearts were emptied of burdens. We cried until we laughed and then we laughed until we cried. At one point I seriously wondered if one could be ticketed for driving under the influence of laughter. Sweet memories.

It's good to be home, but I thank God for my trip to Abilene. It's the highlight of my year thus far. Next year the same conference will be held at Pepperdine, so California here we come! God willing, Harding will host in 2009 so I will have the opportunity to return the hospitality.

Isn't God good? Isn't he just the most amazing thing ever? I'm not very good at waxing eloquent . . . for that, you need to visit my sister's blog. I can't solve the world's political problems . . . I'll leave that to Mark Elrod, and I'll let Mike Cope tackle the theological and doctrinal issues of the day. I'll just stay here and be amazed by God's goodness and the way he blesses me so abundantly. Me, a sinner saved by grace alone, who somehow still receives more blessings than I could ever ask for or imagine.

He's coming back, you know. Can you believe it? He's coming for his bride!

2 comments:

McDreamy said...

i can believe it's been that long - i check your site constantly!

i'm so glad your visit was awesome and that you shared with us. even your post shows that through.

and He is good. incredibly so.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Good pic! Isn't that sculpture wonderful? My friend, Tammy, make great pics with it....

Love getting to see you :-)