Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A new semester

A new semester has begun at Harding University. The students are back, classes have begun, and the annual challenge to read through the Bible in a year has been issued.

It has been wonderful to see our student workers come back. Several new ones have joined us and I look forward to getting to know them.

Do you ever stop to think about how amazing it is to live during this time? Think of how many ways we can connect with other people. Just today, I've talked with people in person and on the phone. I checked facebook, email, and checked in on several blogs for work-related activity. Communication is easy.

Or is it? Words can be said or written, but are connections being made? My children like to play the connection game. "I can connect Corbin Bleu with Miley Cyrus. Corbin was in High School Musical with Ashley Tisdale. Ashley Tisdale is also on Suite Life of Zac and Cody. Miley Cyrus is on Hannah Montana and they did a show Suite Life of Zac and Cody, so Corbin Bleu is connected to Miley Cyrus."

I've heard that you can connect any two people in the world with less than six degrees of separation. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that connections are important. How often do we truly connect to people? Really listen. Really hear what they're saying?

My prayer for this year is that I will truly connect with the people in my life -- my husband Keith, my children, my other family and my co-workers. I also want to be fully experience my connection with God. I love His name Immanuel -- God with us.

Connect.

1 comment:

Lawrence Underwood said...

Whenever we get our remodel done why don't y'all connect down this way?