Friday, August 01, 2014

Ugh and human nature and life and such

Author's note:  I really thought I published this yesterday.  Really.  For sequencing purposes, read this before the Ahhhhh . . . . home at last post.  

Once again, I should never set a lofty goal.  It is not in my nature nor my life circumstances to fulfill a lofty goal that involves consistency.

What I can tell you is that I've had a wonderful Spring and Summer.  Two projects with the community theatre.  Read a draft of a soon-to-be-published manuscript.  Trips to Memphis and Nashville and Baltimore and New York City.

Life is busy; life is good.

I'm tackling the food thing again.  I have to.  If I don't, then it will get the best of me again and I really don't want to go back there.

I'm reading a book (of course I'm reading a book) entitled, Stop Eating Your Heart Out. It has 21 days of thought and behavioral activities that focus on changing the thoughts and emotions surrounding food.  The first day was Write Your Food Story.  I wrote it in a journal, but I'll also post it here.  Day two was to start charting your eating behaviors.  Each time I eat (even one bite) I'm supposed to write down:

When

What

How did I feel?

Precipitating Event


Just knowing I need to write it down makes me more aware of what I put in my mouth.  Here's today so far:

When:  6:30 AM

What:  Coffee with creamer

How did I feel?  Tired

Precipitating Event  Got up and needed to find some energy

When:  8:00

What:  Bagel with butter

How did I feel?  Tired

Precipitating Event:  Realized I needed to get ready for work and eat something before I left.

Side note:  As I was eating the bagel, at one point I felt like I had to finish the whole thing and I really didn't like that I'm 46 and still feel like I have to clean my plate.  So I didn't.  I threw more than half of the second half of the bagel away. 

When:  Noon.

What: Ritz cheese crack snack pack from the break room

How did I feel?  Tired, kind of pressured and rushed, and hungry

Precipitating Event:  I was planning to go home for lunch before I took the boys to the orthodontist for consultation visits, but someone stopped by for a research consultation.  I was able to get home in time to eat a quick bowl of pasta leftovers, but not for a real meal, which led to this:

When:  1:00 PM

What:  Leftover pasta with vodka sauce (yum), spinach, and black olives

How did I feel?  Still felt rushed (eating on the run is never fun) and not quite as hungry

Precipitating Event:  See previous eating experience.

And finally (at least for this entry) . . .

When:  3:50 PM

What:  1 Reese's cup miniature

How did I feel?  Still rushed and like a five-year-old thinking, "oh yes I can!"

Precipitating Event:  Said orthodontist consult which included the words, "jaw surgery" and "consult with an oral surgeon," and "different paths of care and treatment," and "decisions" (none of which sounded very good) followed by taking the boys to Hasting's followed by taking them to SHS followed by returning to work just in time to take the 4-6 shift at the front desk.



And there was still more to come on this busy day: When I left at 6:00, I had about ten things still on my to-do-list, including a Walmart trip for my parents and being a taxi to my boys.

No comments: