Thursday, January 23, 2014

Well, I obviously wasn't ready

There aren't enough to describe life between the last post and this one.

Suffice it to say that everything has changed.

I'm not going to do the music thing.

I'm going to write about food and emotions.  The first thing I'm doing is making a list of what I've done right with food the last few days.  It's way too easy to pay attention to what goes wrong, which is only discouraging.

1.  I cleaned out the refrigerator and made room for fresh food.

2. I made a meal plan based on what we already have so that I wouldn't spend a lot of money on groceries.

3. I ate a salad for lunch yesterday.

4.  I've allowed myself to get hungry more than once.  Being hungry allows me to know when I'm full-ish.

5.  I've been drinking more water than I have in a long time.

I read an interesting theory not long ago.  It's just a theory -- not sure how it could be proven -- but the author felt that when people craved definite, crunchy foods, it was usually driven by stress, frustration, or anger.   When the eating was more grazing and not as specific, it tended to be the result of feeling empty or lonely or incomplete.

I can see how that might be true.  I know that when I crave crunchy, I also tend to be stressed enough that I have to intentionally relax my jaw.

I've been a bit discouraged lately.  I haven't been exercising and we spent a lot of Christmas break watching movies and eating family favorite casseroles.  I think I've gained a few pounds, but I haven't weighed.  In my attempt to remind myself of what I'm doing right, I'm posting some pictures. 

Me then:



Me now:

I guess I'm doing OK.  Help me remember that.  I don't know that there's a part of my life that's unchanged from a couple of years ago and that can be unsettling.  I need the reminders that I'm really doing OK. 

No comments: