Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 06 - A picture of a person you'd love to trade places with for a day.


This is hard. I don't spend a lot of time wishing I were someone else. There are time I wish that I had made some different choices, but that's not the same of wanting to live life in someone else's skin.

So . . . do I trade places with someone who works in one of those "should have" jobs? Musician? Performer? Midwife? Minister? Trading places with someone for just one day changes things a bit because you don't want to invite the temptation that you will fall in love with what said person does and refuse to return to real life after the day.

What about someone who lives in some wonderful place. I love the beach. I love tromping through mountain woods. I love the urban dynamic of a city, but I don't think I would want to live in any of those places.

So who would I want to trade places with for one day?

This woman. Or the person this painting claims to be, Mary Magdalene.

History has given MM a huge reputation that really doesn't have scriptural grounds. Scripturally, here's all we can really know:
Mat 27:56 Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee's sons.

Mat 27:61 Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting there opposite the tomb.

Mat 28:1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Mar 15:40 Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome.

Mar 15:47 Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses saw where he was laid

Mar 16:1 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus' body.

Mar 16:9 When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons.

Luk 24:10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles.

Jhn 19:25 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.

Jhn 20:1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

Jhn 20:18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: "I have seen the Lord!" And she told them that he had said these things to her.

Luk 8:2 and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out;
So we know that Jesus healed her, we know she gave everything she had to him, and we know that she was the first person to see him after his resurrection.

That's the day I would choose to swap. I would love to have spent the years physically with him, and I would love to be known as someone who was a supporter of his earthly ministry, but that day.

That day.

What other day would I trade with any other person?

Mary Magdalene, painted by Anthony Frederick Sandys, 1829 - 1904 British, Pre-Raphaelite. View at www.allartclassic.com

No comments: