Thursday, December 10, 2009

When the veil seems thin

There are days when the veil between the physical world and the spiritual world seems nonexistent. Maybe it's never there and we have just convinced ourselves that it is, but for me, there are definitely days when I can feel the presence of joy, sorrow, good, and evil much more easily than on others.

Sunday morning I was at Camp Tahkodah with a group of Regina girls and although it was COLD, we went outside at sunrise. The beauty from the crisp air and the joy of the girls there was one of those times.





Today, I learned of the death of my friend Kathaleen's son. For completely different reasons, today is one of those days too.

Days like Sunday and days like today make me realize how very short life is and how incredibly blessed we are to be able to see the beautiful world that God has given us. He created the world to be beautiful. He created us to be beautiful. He created us to have a beautiful relationship with him.

That is the deepest level of purpose that we have: relationship with Him. Anything we do that gets in the way of that relationship is a waste of time and energy. Pursue him. Accept no substitutes. Mend relationships with others. Challenge them to pursue him and be willing to help them overcome the obstacles in their own life.

There are two things that come to mind on days like today. One is a poem by WH Auden that beautifully expresses the desire we all have for the world to just stop so that we can mourn with those who mourn. I wish the veil only seemed thin because of beauty, but the truth of the matter is that there is evil in the world and there are times when it is overwhelming.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.


The other is a beautiful recognition of God's power. I was going to save it for another day, but today calls for it. It is a reminder that this world with its flaws and damaged relationships and evil is not our permanent home. There is another place for us where God's goodness will be unveiled and fully present.



Worthy is the Lamb that was slain, and hath redeemed us to God by His blood, to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory and blessing. Blessing and honour, glory and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, for ever and ever.
__ Amen.





No comments: