Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Year of the Book, pt. 2

So here's my plan:
  • I'm joining a book club! I haven't been a part of one for years and now, once a month, I'll be able to sit down with other women who work on my campus and talk about a book we've all read. I'm looking forward to this for several reasons. First, it's always good to spend time with other women. Female friendships are such a vital part of life! Second, I'll be able to get reading recommendations from other people. We all have our own favorite reading habits and it will be good to branch out into different author, different genres, and different ideas. Of course the down side is that I'm sure my "list" will get even longer.
  • I will select one megabook -- a Tale of Two Cities or Dr. Zhivago type -- to read. A super read. An uberbook. A real chunkster. The chosen title will be revealed at a later date and I expect all of you to hold me accountable.
  • You know those books you read in lit classes and loved and promised yourself you'd get back to and read again? I'm going to choose one of those too. I've already narrowed it down to either Possession: A Romance by A.S. Byatt or Tom Jones by Henry Fielding. I'll probably go with Possession because -- well -- it's shorter. :-)
  • I'm also going to do a few book reveiws for a friend's publishing company so keep your eyes open here for some possible reads to add to your own list.
So there it is - the Year of the Book! I can't describe how happy I am to have time to read just because I want to. I'm very thankful that I had the opportunity and ability to finish a master's degree, but the joy I've had in reclaiming my life is beyond words. To my friends who are still traveling the school path, hang in there! It really does come to a close. I don't know if I have reached the end of my school journey or if this is just a rest stop, but I'm going to refuel as much as I can in the down time.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Salt in the wound, girlfriend, salt in the wound. :-) Just kidding--Read on! You deserve it.

Sheila said...

Hmmm, an unberbook. Never thought of them like that.

Have a wunderbar time with yours.

lisa b said...

Oh, Sheila. Read it again. It's an UBER-book! :-)

lisa b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila said...

Ach, I just mistyped. I know what it was! That's what I get for reading blogs at night.

Didn't my "wunderbar" tell you that I got the German part? Or maybe "unber" is a German word I never heard, but you have....