Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A prayer for today

Good Father,

Before anything else, I want to thank you for the amazing things you've done for me. Every day I have a roof over my head, food to eat, a family and friends who both challenge me and encourage me to live closer to you every day. I am abundantly blessed.

You know I tell my girls they should thank you every day that they were born to be a woman in America today. Never before have women had the freedoms, opportunities, and respect that they have today. Thank you, Lord, for allowing me and my daughters to share in this great blessing.

Today, God, I am very thankful for our country. Our leadership is changing peacefully, even with this historic election! Forty years ago, many women and men were killed for suggesting that racial equality was needed; today we are swearing in an African-American president! Like all of our elected leaders, only time will tell what kind of leader he will be, but I have goosebumps thinking about the great strides we have taken with racial equality. Thank you God. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Father God I pray that your people -- your body -- your church -- will be your hands, feet, and mouth. I pray that we will be a praying people, earnestly seeking your will, serving others. Our country is in pain. We are hurting in many ways.

We need you.

Help us not to trust in politics more than we trust in you. Help us not to be shattered when life in this world does not seem right to us. Help us to seek you daily and lift one another up in prayer rather than tearing one another down through criticism.

Forgive us -- forgive me -- when I am critical of others, whether they are leaders, family, or friends. Forgive me when I think that they should do something or be different.

And always -- come quickly, Lord Jesus.

I love you Lord, my strength.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Lisa...
Thanks so much for this heartfelt prayer that touches my heart too.

I'm taking Theology of Worship this semester and we are assigned to write two prayers per week based on assigned scripture and/or our class readings for the week.