Sunday, November 23, 2008

Time and Choices

This week is Thanksgiving Break at Harding University, which means it is also Thanksgiving Break for me. At some point on Friday I realized that this would be my first real break in five years. No work, no books or articles to read for class, no papers to write or search engines to evaluate. Just . . . unstructured time to spend the way I choose.

This is unreal to me. In addition to my five years of back-to-schooling, my entire adult life has been consumed by lists of things to do for other people. Nurse the baby, rock the baby, walk the baby, read to the toddler, wash the dishes, change the diapers, potty train the two-year-old, teach the five-year-old to read, listen to the seven-year-old read, make the easter dresses, scrapbook the family photos, teach algebra to the 8th grader, keep the little ones from hitting each other . . . the list goes on and on and on.

Now I have a break. My children are in school, Keith will be at work, and I have time. Time to spend the way I choose.

I choose to knit. I've already finished two projects and started a third. Check my knitting blog if you'd like to see them. They'll be up soon.

I choose to read. I'm making my way through Eclipse (UGH!) so I can hopefully have intelligent conversations with younger readers about all the ways the Edward-Bella relationship is NOT one to pine for. After that I'm going to read Life of Pi. It's been on my list for a long time and now it's sitting on my desk, waiting for me.

I choose to listen to good music. Josh Groban's Christmas cd has already graced our home once. Tomorrow I may break out Handel's Messiah or the Nutcracker. I'm very ready for Christmas.

I may -- just may -- choose to start a couch-to-5k walking/running program. Like Life of Pi, it has been on my list for a long time. I fear if I do not do it soon, it will never be done. I don't want to live my life thinking, "I should have . . . " or "I wanted to, but . . ."

I choose to start Beth Moore's Jesus the One and Only study for the third time. Yep -- third time on the same study. Some co-workers and I are going to do it one day a week during lunch. I am very eagerly looking forward to walking through the life of Christ again. I need this type of structure. I need the accountability. I need to deepen my relationship with Him.

So this Thanksgiving season, I am thankful for time and choices. I hope that I make good use of both of them.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Beautiful post. I think that time alone to do whatever your heart longs for is one of the greatest pleasures of all. I hope you enjoy yours.

On the lighter side, have you ever realized that you were going to have a pocket of time for yourself then gotten so excited and worked up about it that you couldn't even relax and enjoy it? :-) I have. Ridiculous, huh?