Monday, November 10, 2008

Some Things are Worth Repeating

Once again, stolen from Stephanie. Her prolific blogging puts me to shame.

Do you ever reread your books?


Definitely yes! I have a lifelong pattern of rereading books that are important to me. One of the things that grieves me about the Accelerated Reader program is that children are not encouraged to reread books. It's all about reading something else, taking tests, and scoring points. Reading should be enjoyable. Good books can become old friends you long to see again.

If so, which ones? If not, why not?

Growing up, I read the Chronicles of Narnia over and over. Madeleine L'Engle's books also took up much of my time. I recently revisited Poisonwood Bible for the third time and found it just as engaging as the first two read-throughs. If a book touches the deep core of my being and changes something about me -- either the way I view myself, the world, or a concept -- then I will reread it. I rarely revisit the books I classify simply as "page turners." It has to be a book that really speaks to me.

Do you read the books the whole way through or pick through for favorite scenes?

I tend to be an all-or-nothing person. I'll go through the whole thing.

What qualifies a book for the reread pile?

I don't keep a list or pile of books to reread, but at times something will happen that reminds me of that deep core-shifting experience and causes me to think, "Wow! I want to read _____________ again." I connect very deeply with well-written fiction and when non-fiction is profound it also qualifies for a re-read. How can you not benefit from picking up The Screwtape Letters again? When would it ever be a bad idea to work your way through Celebration of Discipline or Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger?

No comments: