Monday, October 27, 2008

Stolen from Stephanie

My friend Stephanie (who just successfully passed oral comps for her PhD!!!) found a new book-inspired blog called Booking through Thursday that posts a question (or two, or three) about books each Thursday that readers can answer on their own blogs. She posted these on her blog and I thought I would do the same. How about the rest of you? I know we have some readers out there so share your answers either in your comments or on your own blog. Just be sure to link to your blog in the comments so I can check them out! Happy Reading!

What was the last book you bought?

For me: Tracy Chevalier's Girl With a Pearl Earring and Falling Angels

I won't list the ones I buy for the library. They're kind of boring. :-)

Name a book you have read MORE than once.

Only one? Most recently, Poisonwood Bible. Growing up, I read the Chronicles of Narnia every summer.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?

Francine Rivers' Redeeming Love gave me a much clearer view of God's unending love for me and the lengths he will go through to reclaim his straying children. I'm one of those strayers.


How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews

Friends' recommendations mean a lot and I try to stay on top of current fiction and young adult fiction. I don't get to read everything, but if there's a book that seems to have captured the collective consciousness of the nation, I try to read it. I believe it's important to understand the thought processes of our culture.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?

Fiction

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?

I confess to being a book snob. In my reading world, there is a difference between a good book and a page turner. Many books that people gush about are page turners with gripping plots that are poorly written and drive me nuts. I believe that JK Rowling needed an editor and that Stephanie Meyer would not be publishing if teen girls were not so taken with the thought of dating the bad guys. They may be able to spin a good yarn, but neither of them are what I call good writers.

I love well-written novels that challenge my attention span by making me think about the characters and plot. My happiest "reads" are when I finish a book and think, "Wow! That one is going to show up in a literature class some day."

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)

Aslan from Chronicles of Narnia

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?

CS Lewis Perelandra
Stephanie Meyer New Moon
Sue Monk Kidd Secret Life of Bees

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?

The last book I finished was a re-read of Calvin Miller's Singer, Song, Finale trilogy. It is a poetic retelling of the life of Jesus. I read it between the time I finished my last classes this summer and the fall semester at work started. Once school starts it's harder to finish a book, but I have several that I'm working on.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?

Only once that I can remember. I wasn't connecting with it at all and couldn't justify the time. And - no - it wasn't a literary read. It was a page turner so I had no guilt!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

See! I KNEW I'd end up having to buy more books. :-)

elaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elaine said...

Ha! I have Perelandra on my nightstand, too! Actually I just finished rereading the Space Trilogy. I think That Hideous Strength is horrible (in the "that's so yucky" way, not in the crappy story way), but has an interesting message about marriage.