Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11

Although it's been on my mind all day, it's still hard to believe that it's been five years since the World Trade Center attacks. Growing up, I didn't understand why people had such vivid memories of where they were when JKF was shot, but on September 11, 2001, I understood.

We lived in Monticello, AR and were still in our homeschooling years. All five of our children were at home with me and we were getting ready to leave the house and go a Bible study that I attended each week. Keith called from work and told me to turn on the tv. I'm not much of a tv person, so I rarely had it on. He said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center and asked me if I could watch a while and call him back and give him more details.

I watched the only channel we got with our antenna and stood there, shocked. They were discussing "the crash," hoping there would be survivors and then the 2nd plane flew into the other tower. I thought it was a replay, but then saw that it was another plane hitting the 2nd tower. I think my worldview changed in the moment I realized this was not an accident. It was deliberate. Planned.

I finally gathered everyone up and we left for Bible study. By the time we arrived at the church building, the third plane had hit the Pentagon. Our Bible study schedule was abandoned and we spent the time in prayer. There were about 25 women from many denominations and we prayed and cried together as we thought about other mothers and children dealing very directly with our nation's loss.

My friend Denise wept as she prayed for Ishmael's sons. My friend Ronda prayed those in the military, one of whom was her husband. I prayed for the President, thanking God that we had a president who trusted the Lord.

Later I called everyone in my family. I don't know why. I just had to hear their voices.

I was glued to the tv for two days but finally had to turn it off. I was overwhelmed by the tragedy. I thought of families in Israel who for years have been unable to go to the grocery store without risking death.

Father forgive us when we use faith as a weapon, whether it's airplanes exploding into towers or bombs exploding in abortion clinics. Forgive us.

No comments: