Wednesday, September 06, 2006

One of THOSE days


Yesterday was one of those days. I had an assignment due that I could not get my brain wrapped around, a meeting in the morning,my kids had activites from after school until 8:30 that night, and my other grad class met from 5:30 until 8:00. This is an online class and I kept losing internet connection so I was constantly getting kicked out. I was able to get the gist of the lecture and discussion, but it was a very frustrating experience.

On the way home, I prayed a lot. Prayers that God would help me manage my time better. Prayers that I could somehow wade through all this busyness and still manage to be a good mom. Prayers that my children would not wind up in therapy due to their perpetually absent mom. Prayers that I wouldn't cry while I was driving and have a wreck.

Then, I got home and found out that I'd left Noelle on campus! Poor baby was supposed to meet me in the library after a soccer ref's meeting and ride home with me. I forgot her! Left my own flesh and blood stranded! What kind of mom am I?

Thankfully, like all days, yesterday ended. When I finally got into bed, I could still hear the Lord singing me to sleep. I woke up this morning and my children still loved me and, like all days, God's grace and mercy were waiting for me again. I've sung these words thousands of times, but they mean more and more to me as I get older: "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning. 'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore, I will hope in Him.'"

Father God, help me to love the way you love and help me to abide in your mercy and love each day. Even on THOSE days.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Once I was late picking Claire up from school. She was the VERY LAST child left. It was terrible (especially since she wasn't even my child.) But she still loves me.

As you know, children do have an amazing capacity for resilience. When they know they are loved and you are doing your best, they can put up with a lot.

Wish we lived in the same place!

Lawrence Underwood said...

Leaving one's flesh and blood is in our genes! I remember vividly sitting on the steps at Broadstreet with the preacher, can't recall his name, and wondering when ya'll were coming back to get me. I thought I'd have to wait until the evening service. Then there was the time we left you. . .

Fortunately I've not scarred Amy Jo yet. But, I still have time.